Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Altered Art Playing Card Challenge - Week 5

On to week 5 of the Altered Art Playing Card Challenge from Claudine's Art Corner. Since a lot of these materials are new to me I've had a few backgrounds not quite work out how I'd like. When that happens I set the cards off to the side and do another... then I just leave them in my workspace to stare at them until something pops into my head.

When doing the first step with gesso, I added some mesh-tulle-like stuff onto about 10 of my cards. The week where alcohol inks were used for the background I added some to one of those cards and it turned out really cool, but it wasn't what I wanted for that week. So this is mesh, alcohol inks, acrylic paint, an old world map stamp, sharpie, and white gel pen.



This second card just started out with a blue acrylic background because I accidentally pushed too much paint out when I was working on something else. Then I added some fluffy cloud-ish swirls. The words are torn out of a dictionary and I dyed the paper blue with alcohol ink - it was a total experiment and to be honest I was surprised at how well it worked. I really like the alcohol inks because they don't warp paper like water based products.



2 comments:

  1. Both are stunning, I love the blue hues you used this week, nicely done

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like both of these, too, Angie! Although I love the detail in the first, I love the message in the second! Both are winners!

    ReplyDelete