Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Random Mixed Media

The other night I felt like doing something artsy. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do so I figured I'd experiment a little with some unfamiliar mediums. In October, I went to a painting thing at my Mom's church (like Cocktails and Canvas, but Cupcakes and Canvas instead). It was fun, but the painting just didn't turn out right. I thought about tweaking it but then I just went in a totally different direction.

And it was FUN!

Since I'm working on this altered playing card project, I've been wanting to find a way to put a quote on a card without stamping it directly, but also without all the extra white - I wanted it to be clear. I saw somewhere that you can stamp on tissue paper then use Mod Podge and the tissue paper kind of disappeared. So that's how this started. I stamped something and slapped it onto the canvas. And it worked! And then I got totally carried away and my original experiment is buried under everything just like the original painting.

I grabbed colored tissue paper out of my wrapping paper stash, cut it into squares and started gluing. Or Podging, as it were. I added some washi tape then sprayed a couple different colors of spray ink around. I've never used that tape before so I didn't realize that it wouldn't take color (possibly the brand I used? Or maybe all of them are like that?) So I took the tape off, then I glued on some lace from my fabric stash. I used some stencils and some gesso to add the squares, flowers, and swirlys. So here's what it looked like at that point.




The next day, I painted the gesso'd areas, added random acrylic paint, and added the words. Then I painted on the words too. It was fun... so I did a couple more, but I'll write about them later.

This is my finished result. If I stare at it just right I can see my original painting buried under there, but if you don't know, you might not see it. In person, it's a bit sparkly because some of the acrylics are metallic but it just doesn't show up right in pictures.


No comments:

Post a Comment